[Marxistindia] Sitaram's letter to the PM on Partisan use of public funds

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Mon Aug 24 15:47:29 IST 2009

                                                         August 24, 2009

Press Release

We are releasing here below a letter addressed to the Prime Minister by
Sitaram Yechury today objecting to the misuse of public funds to promote
the partisan interests of a political party.

                             **************

Dear Shri Manmohan Singhji,

I am writing to you with reference to a half a page advertisement
appearing today in all major national dailies by the Indian Railways
announcing its scheme of free monthly season tickets to students. This
advertisement also carries your photograph.

I was aghast to see the graphics in the advertisement that are alluding
to the election symbol of the Trinamul Congress.

Surely you will agree that this is a brazen effort at utilising
governmental funds for promoting the political interests of a particular
party which happens to be a member of the ruling coalition under your
leadership.

I am requesting you to kindly ensure that such advertisements are
withdrawn and necessary instructions are issued to all government
departments to not promote the partisan interests of any political party
at the expense of public monies.

With regards,

                                                         Yours sincerely

                                                                     Sd/